We sit on the big red couch and discuss:
- Combatting hate. Last week’s events in Charlottesville lead us into a great conversation with the help of a resource guide from Southern Poverty Law Center about combatting hate and unifying communities.
- Another amazing organization, Life After Hate, a nonprofit created in 2011 by former members of the American violent far-right extremist movement that works to combat hate by working individuals who wish to leave a life of hate and violence and helping organizations (community, educational, civic, government, etc.) grappling with the causes of intolerance and racism.
- Rachel is from Merritt Island, Florida where an osprey was stranded in a canal after being pelted with torrential rain. The osprey was successfully rescued after it made it to shore, and the footage of it swimming to shore reminds Hannah of a Disney character.
- Also in Florida is an awesome non profit organization, It’s a Girl Thing, an empowerment group in Jacksonville for ages 11-18 that works to encourage and motivate young girls by providing them with life tools that will ensure they lead productive and successful lives.
- Animal corner features a Golden Retriever that was digging up what seemed to be treasure in the backyard. What the family thought was a time capsule turned out to be 85,000 dollars of black tar heroine!
Rachel and I wrap up the episode talking about how excited she is to go on a Disney Cruise with her Grandmother! It’s real good news!